Monday, January 16, 2006

Vasantahabba 2006 is cancelled.

I just called Lynne Fernandez at Nrityagram, and the show is off. Vasantahabba for 2006 has been cancelled. Lynne said the event was cancelled for lack of sponsors.

What is Vasantahabba? It's the "spring festival" (Vasant = spring, Habba = festival) held in Nrityagram, Bangalore. Held on the first saturday of February (usually) - and yes, spring starts THAT early here - Vasantahabba is a festival that brings together cultures from everywhere. There are performances by Odissi and Bharatanatyam dancers, both from Nrityagram and outside. Some of India's best musicians and vocalists have performed at the habba, including Kadri Gopalnath (Sax), Tavleen Singh (Tabla), Pt. Vishwamohan Bhat (Mohan veena) and so on.

And there are the Rock and Fusion bands too: In 2004, Indian ocean performed at the Habba -as the Dawn show (the last show, typically starts at 5 Am and goes on till dawn) I was there till 7 AM until the final beats of their amazing music rocked the exhausted-but-loving-it crowd.

There have been qawwalis, and there have been jugalbandis. And there has been the most amazing feeling of being there, the woodstock of Bangalore.

Read more at:
http://www.deccanherald.com/deccanherald/jan172004/metro1.asp
http://www.narthaki.com/info/reviews/rev181.html
http://www.nrityagram.org/passion/habba/habba.htm
http://www.anuragjain.com/vasantahabba.html

and of course:
http://www.vasantahabba.com/

And now, this year, Vasantahabba is cancelled for lack of sponsors.

I feel really bad about this. Vasanthahabba is an AWESOME event, and I am feeling lousy that I couldn't help. I spoke to Lynne and she said preparations start at least 6 months in advance - so 2006 is out, but maybe 2007 can be in! Can we go all out to support it for next year?

I've asked Lynne what we can do. She told me to mail her and she will add us to the mailing list, and for next year, when they're looking for funds, we'll know well in advance.

Here are the details:
Tel: +91 80 28466313 / 4
Email: nrityagram@vsnl.com
Website: www.nrityagram.org

I have already asked Nrityagram if people can send in personal donations. I will send in my bit, and I request that all those of you who want to keep Vasanthahabba alive, please do help in whatever way you can.

Sorry for sounding all sentimental. This is my olive tree and it hurts to see it dying.

7 Comments:

Blogger Rajesh J Advani said...

I'd been to Vasantahabba in 2001 (was visiting Bangalore that weekend), and only just found out that it's been cancelled for the past two years. It was one of the most wonderful experiences I've had, so I can imagine how bad you feel. But hopefully it'll happen next year.

3:14 PM, February 05, 2006  
Blogger Rajni said...

This is really disappointing :((

I really wanted to attend the habba this time too...so was searching on Google for the dates and came across this post....

I have attended Vasanth Habba twice. I don't understand much of classical music but the dance performances were great !!!! It is rare to see Indian classical dance these days. Even on TV, I don't think any channel shows it anymore, apart from Doordarshan.

It's really sad that such activities, which protect our culture, are dying down due to lack of sponsors. I wonder why the big wigs who sponsor Bryan Adams and Strings, don't sponsor such home grown events.

I agree we should get together and try something to revive this. Any takers??

4:30 PM, February 23, 2006  
Blogger Isabel said...

It looks like the Vasantahabba 2007 didn't happen either. Any hope for 2008?

10:19 AM, October 19, 2007  
Blogger Ravi Kumar said...

I am die hard fan of Vasanta Habba. I was expecting that it will resume in 2008 and after 2 years of disappointment. I called the Nrityagram folks few days back and enquired about the possibility of conduction of Vasanta Habba. The lady on the phone told that it will be decided in 3rd or 4th week of Jan 2008. Does that mean that there will be no Vasanta Habba even this year ? :(

12:58 PM, December 31, 2007  
Blogger Deepak Shenoy said...

Ravi: Tough - such events get planned six months in advance so 2008 may be too difficult. 2009 perhaps, and we can only hope...

1:13 PM, December 31, 2007  
Blogger Unknown said...

Any hopes of the event VASANTAHABBA being held this year ?

6:59 PM, January 06, 2009  
Blogger Iona Salter said...

I just recently learnt about Vasanta Habba and since I'm in Bangalore for a month I was really excited to go. But I called them and it's a no-go for 2010 too. Does anyone have any information about why it's not going ahead anymore? I've heard that it was getting a bit wild, with lots of people taking drugs and just generally being rowdy. Someone suggested that this was the real reason it stopped. Anyone know anything about this? I'm really curious!

5:13 PM, February 04, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home