Friday, October 14, 2005

The affordable computer...

(This is a geek post. You've been warned)

Finally, we have a sub-10K computer. A 1.6 Ghz AMD processor, 40 GB hard disk, 15" monitor, 128 MB Ram, Linux.

Hmm, I think - I've been planning to build a Digital Video Recorder (DVR) for months now - and wanted the cost to be around 8K. I can get MythTV for free on Linux, so Software costs are nil.

Hardware wise - if I removed the monitor (Rs. 3000?) and put in a TV tuner card (Rs. 2000), and upgrade the Hard Disk to 200 GB or so (Rs. 2000), I should have a fairly functional DVR for around 10 K now. Only problem is, TV tuner cards that I've seen don't seem to have a TV out or a hardware MPEG encoder for recording. Have to keep lookin'.

So why do I want a DVR? I hate ads. I despise them. I loathe them to the extent that I have turned to Sudoku for entertainment. What I want do is to "skip ads". Meaning, I will start watching some serial about 10 minutes after it's started: my DVR would have been recording from the time it actually started. So when I'm watching I'm watching a time-shifted recording, and as I watch the computer records the incoming programme in the background.

When ads appear, I press the fast forward button - the software can be configured to go forward in 20-30 second increments - typically ads in India are 20 seconds long. So NO ADS!!! And no volume reducing when ads come on - but my TV does that already.

Also I can then finally watch what they call Desperate Housewives. I've never seen it, only heard about it - only because I'm never at home when it's on!

Ah yes, and if I manage to do this, I will also write a tool to provide the listing on the TV - so I can choose which channel I want, and see what's scheduled to be on at a future time too. But, right now, don't hold your breath. I don't got no money.

2 Comments:

Blogger The Budweiser said...

all that or you can just buy a VCR. and as far as ads go, well, looking at the bright side, everyone gets to blog abt nude SRK in bath tubs, right?

5:31 PM, October 14, 2005  
Blogger Deepak Shenoy said...

VCRs ain't doin it - they're not as good as a DVR especially because I hate handling tapes, rewinding etc. :) Would much rather have content on a hard disk that I could easily view later.

7:02 PM, October 14, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home