Thursday, June 08, 2006

The "Walk from Office" campaign

In light of the fuel price hike by the Indian Government, I'm starting a "Walk from Office" campaign, supported by, currently, me.

The idea is to:
Walk back home from office. My office is less than 4 kilometers away from home, and I can easily walk back in 45 minutes - I take nearly that much to drive in peak traffic. Plus, I get some exercise. If I do this three times a week, I save Rs. 500 per month and perhaps more importantly, one kg per month!

I'll take an auto going up - why? I can't handle a whole workday after huffing and puffing for three quarters of an hour. When I develop more stamina, I'll walk it all.

If you're looking to do this as well, write me a comment. I'll keep the post updated, unless of course, I'm walking.

The Walk from Office List
1) Deepak Shenoy, Bangalore. 3.5 Kilometers.
2) Mohit, Ipswich. Walks *to* office. 1.6 kilometers.
3) Minkey Chief, Somewhere. Office=Home. 50 meters.
4) Vasan, 2930 steps, 2 steps a second, depending on traffic, 25 to 27 minutes. Very complicated maths, that.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go for it Deepak.

I've been walking to office every day the last 3 months...don't have the energy to usually walk back at the end of the day. But then it's easier to do it in Ipswich than in Bangalore. ;-))

9:07 PM, June 05, 2006  
Blogger Deepak Shenoy said...

Mohit,

Ipswich! I'd walk to office when I was there, but considering it was like next door to my hotel, there wasn't too much exercise.

But I'm joing to add your name anyhow.

11:23 PM, June 05, 2006  
Blogger Enigma said...

woow good idea

3:08 AM, June 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I'm not in a hotel. But yeah, the walk is less than a mile! You know there are some advantages of living in small places! ;-)

10:18 AM, June 06, 2006  
Blogger Deepak Shenoy said...

Minkey Chief,

You're in for 50 meters. You probably don't need the exercise.

11:53 AM, June 06, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deepak,

Have linked to your post. Also, will be walking to & from work this month!

Thanks for the inspiration!

Are you planning a trip to Ipswich soon. I'm on the 3rd floor of the same building!!!

3:44 PM, June 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Deepak,

Good of you to drop by my blog. I actually started reading your blog a week before i discovered that we had a common boss!

Will try & mail you excerpts of Eric Sink's book. His blog is at http://software.ericsink.com/ He also had a piece in Joel Spolsky's "The Best Software Writing".

5:00 PM, June 07, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get one of these made by your carpenter. After that commuting is as easy as falling off your bed :-))))

http://www.engadget.com/2006/05/07/
the-computer-bed-making-telecommuting-even-easier/

~Prajwal

12:29 PM, June 09, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shenoy...where art thou?
KeEp bloggin man!
:)
This post remindsme of the days Hmmmmmm when I first got a temp. job durin my second yr at Uni, i had a nice excuse then to lose a few pounds heh...my workplace was only 20 minutes away! Refreshin mornin walks, I used to call em(good way to start the day) They kept me goin all day long. Walks are good, really.

11:08 PM, June 28, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home